By Meredith Walker
Whether you’re interested in archaeology degree from Vermont State University, ancient Roman times, or forbidden religious texts, there’s a blog out there for you. Many history blogs offer specific subjects, including those on ancient history. Check out this list to find a number of excellent blogs written about ancient times and related subjects.
General Ancient History
These blogs offer a variety of subjects in ancient history.
- The History Blog: This blog covers all of history, but particularly European ancient and medieval.
- Ancient History Ramblings: Learn a bit about ancient history from this rambling blog.
- The Gordian Knot: The Gordian Knot focuses on ancient history, anthropology, and modernity.
- Horothesia: The Horothesia blog, run by Tom Elliott from Huntsville, AL, offers thoughts and comments on ancient history, epigraphy, geography, and more.
- Muhlberger’s Early History: This Nipissing University professor writes about ancient world history, including chivalry in the middle ages.
- Memorabilia Antonia: Here you’ll find writings about Greek and Roman history, the ancient Near East, classical literature, and more.
- MuseumGuru: This blog is devoted to online museums, particularly strange and obscure ones.
- The Cultivated Classicist: This student from Milwaukee, WI enjoys ancient art history and beyond.
- Ancient World Bloggers Group: This group blog offers a wide swath of ancient history.
- Thoughts on Antiquity: Read this blog to get musings on ancient history and beyond.
- The New Antiquarium: This old coot from Ohio with older interests reports on anything and everything that happened before the year 80.
- Antiquitopia: Jared Calaway writes about antiquity, religion, and other phenomena and ephemera.
- Ancient Tides: This blog about ancient times makes the world feel a little bit smaller.
- Rogue Classicalism: Here you’ll find listings that include “This Day in Ancient History,” as well as classical words of the day.
- Awilum: Check out this blog that’s about the Bible and ancient Near East.
- Mike Anderson’s Ancient History Blog: Read Mike Anderson’s blog to relate history to the present day. Anderson blogs from Toledo, Ohio.
Ancient Items & Archaeology
If you’re interested in archaeology and ancient findings, be sure to check out these blogs.
- Antiquarian’s Attic: Check out this blogger’s collection for ancient items and more.
- Archaeoporn: This blog serves up a tittilating collection of archaeology.
- Floyd’s Ancient Wonders: Find out what Floyd has to offer from antiquity.
- Think Archaeology: Think Archaeology discusses archaeology, ancient art, and ancient history.
- A Very Remote Period Indeed: This blog reviews achaeological publications on Paleolithic archaeology, paleoanthropology, archaeological theory, and more.
- Looting Matters: This blog will help you understand the ethics surrounding the collection of antiquities.
Learn how modern technology is influencing ancient studies through these blogs.
- Electric Archaeology: This blogger explores digital media in history and archaeology.
- Digging Digitally: Explore digitally enabled research through this blog.
- The Digital Classicist: This blog discusses how advanced digital methods can be used in the study of the ancient world.
- The Stoa Consortium: Stoa offers news, projects and links for digital classicists.
These blogs write about ancient times in specific locations and civilizations.
- Ancient Japan: Nagaeyari, an amateur historian, offers this blog of early Japanese history.
- Ancient Mediterranean Musings: Here you’ll read about Jews and Christians in the Greco-Roman World.
- Ancient Greece & Rome: This About.com blog offers lots of great information about ancient Greece and Rome.
- Ancient Egypt: This blog is full of ancient Egyptian history.
- Egyptology News: If you’re interested in ancient Egypt, be sure to check out this blog.
- Archaeology in Europe: Learn about the latest developments in European archaeology through this blog.
- African History: Check out this About.com blog to learn about ancient and more recent history in Africa.
- The Archaeology of the Mediterranean World: Check out this blog to learn more about Mediterranean archaeology.
Much has been written about ancient religion, as you’ll see in these blogs.
- Earliest Christian History: James Crossley seeks to find ancient Christian origins, as well as early Judaism.
- Religions of the Ancient Mediterranean: Phil Harland’s blog highlights the religious life among those in the ancient Roman empire.
- Apocryphicity: This blog is dedicated to the study of Christian Apocrypha, also known as non-canonical Christian literature.
- PaleoJudica: Check out PaleoJudica to learn about ancient Judaism and its context.
- Iconoclasm: Visit this blog to see early Christian iconoclasm, late antiquity, and more.
- Codex: This biblical studies blog offers insights into the Dead Sea Scrolls, biblical Hebrew, and more.
- The Forbidden Gospels Blog: April DeConick discusses the Nag Hammadi collection, Tchacos Codex, and more.
Check out these blogs if you’re interested in a specific ancient period.
- Viking Archaeology Blog: Learn more about Viking period archaeology through this blog.
- Anglo-Saxon Archaeology Blog: In this blog, you’ll find news reports about Anglo-Saxon archaeology findings.
- In the Middle: Check out this medieval studies group blog to try to see this ancient period of history in the middle.
Ancient Life & Language
Get a look into the way ancient people lived with the help of these blogs.
- Ancient Transportation: Read this blog to learn how ancient civilizations got around.
- Current Epigraphy: Read this blog to get the latest news about Greek and Latin epigraphy.
- Paleoglot: Check out this blog, and you’ll find posts on ancient languages, cultures, and civilizations.
- What’s New in Papyrology: Gregg Schwender shares his finds on news and resources about papyri and ostraca.
- Merope Atlantis: Ancient Inscriptions: Learn about ancient inscriptions and more through this blog.
- Archaeoastronomy: Archaeoastronomy considers ancient science and the science of ancient things.