Whether you're getting your bachelor's degree in painting, graphic design or sculpture, there's so much to learn about art — from its lush history to materials — that it can sometimes feel overwhelming. Yet art students shouldn't fret. There's a whole lifetime ahead to learn and numerous resources both in the classroom and outside of it for expanding your knowledge. One great place to seek out help with becoming a better artist is on YouTube. There, other artists, teachers and experts share their lessons on just about everything you could want to know. Here are a just a few of the thousands of art-related videos on YouTube to get you started with your creative education.
From how to sketch parts of the body to the best materials to use, these videos will help educate you on all things drawing-related.
- How to Draw a Realistic Eye: Eyes have been called the window to the soul, and if you want to create a realistic portrait you have to get them just right to give your drawing the emotion it needs. This lesson can help you learn the basics of eye sketching.
- Hatching & Blending Techniques: Hatching and blending are two ways to shade your drawings and give them depth. Learn the basics from this video.
- Learn to Draw Portraits: This video will show you some of the fundamentals that you'll need to know when it comes to drawing accurate portraits.
- Drawing heads/faces from different angles Part 1: Apply the skills learned in this video to any kind of figure drawing, whether realistic or not.
- Drawing Environment: It's all well and good to know how to draw people, but they will just be floating in space unless you know how to give them a setting. This video can help.
- How To Draw Two-Point Perspective, with Karl Gude: This video will help you learn to perfect your use of perspective, making any buildings, rooms or landscapes you draw more realistic.
- Gesture Drawing Tutorial: Sometimes gesture drawing can be a great way to quickly get the spirit of a model or subject. Learn from the work of this artist through his video.
- Drawing Bodies: Bodies are some of the hardest things to draw, so you can use all the help you can get. This video is a good place to start.
- Drawing Board Basics: Check out this video to learn how to set up a drawing board so that it's most conducive to creating great works.
- Types of Art Pencils for Drawing: If you need to learn a bit about art supplies, this video will help to point you in the right direction when it comes to drawing materials.
There are many kinds of paint, from oil to watercolor, so it can take a long time to truly become a master at any one of them, let alone multiple media. These videos can help you get a strong foundation in painting techniques no matter what kind of paint you choose to use.
- Oil Painting for Beginners: This video will help you learn some of the basics of oil painting so you can start off on the right foot with this complex and versatile medium.
- How to Oil Paint, Oil Painting Lesson 1: If you've never painted with oil before, it can be intimidating. Make it much less so by following along with this video.
- How to Watercolor: If watercolors are more your thing, you'll want to watch this video to learn the basics or to brush up on your skills.
- Watercolor Simplified with Pat Weaver: Many shy away from watercolor because it seems too hard to master, but this video will break it down so that anyone can do it.
- Mixing Acrylic Paint Colors: Learn how to better mix colors when using acrylic paints so that you get the results you're after the first time.
- How to Paint with Acrylic Paint: Acrylics can be great because they dry so quickly but can also be difficult for the same reason. Learn some basics that will make using them easier from this video.
- Improve Your Acrylic Painting with Terry Harrison: Already know the essentials of acrylic painting? Take a look at this video to improve your skills.
- How to Prepare a Canvas for Painting: Whether you're painting with oils or acrylics, you'll want to prepare your canvas correctly to make sure your work will last.
- Abstract Painting Lesson by Peter Dranitsin: Sometimes you don't want your painting to be realistic. Learn to create abstract designs from this video.
- Sumi-e Painting Lesson Basic: Painting with ink is an ancient art and one that's well worth learning about a modern student. This video will show you the basics, including the supplies you'll need to get started.
- Types of Painting Strokes: Learn the basic strokes you'll need to use as a painter from this video.
If you'd like to use your artistic skills to work as an illustrator, these videos can help you to learn new techniques that will help you vary your repertoire and become better.
- Illustration Techniques: Watercolor, Ink, & Colored Pencil: This illustration method blends water, ink and colored pencil to create a beautiful finished product.
- How to draw in pen and ink: Simple pen and ink drawings can speak volumes without much to them at all. Learn to better master this skill with the help of this video.
- New Art Techniques- Mineral Spirits and Color Pencil: You might not have ever thought to combine these two things, but as you'll see in this video, the results can be pretty nice.
- Mix-Media Illustration Technique: Why stick to just traditional methods of illustration when you have so many other options available to you? This video will show you how to use mixed media in new and innovative ways.
- Drawing & Illustration Techniques: How to Use Proportion in Artwork: If you want to create realistic looking illustrations you'll need to learn to use proportion, something this video can help to teach you.
- Illustration Tips: Stony Surfaces: This video will show you some techniques that create realistic looking stone surfaces– perfect for everything from columns to gravestones.
- Illustration techniques in CorelDraw X3: If you would prefer to use a computer to help you to draw illustrations, you can learn a thing or two from this video on Corel Draw.
- How to Draw Caricatures: Whether you're doing work for MAD Magazine or just want to create some funny sketches, knowing how to draw caricatures can be a big help. Learn the basics here.
- Drawing & Illustration Tips: Learning to Draw Books: Those who are working on illustrations for books will find some helpful advice here on how to vary your style depending on the type of publication.
- How to illustrate fabrics in fashion sketch: Whether you're drawing for fashion designers or simply want to improve how you illustrate clothes, check out this video.
- Draw an Apple- Illustration Technique with Markers and Color Pencils: Combining markers and colored pencils, this technique can create a pretty cool effect.
Improve your skills behind the lens and in the darkroom with the help of these videos.
- Free Photography Lessons, Part 1: Introduction: You'll get the basics of photography in this quick lesson.
- Studio Lighting Photography Tutorial: Learn to light your photography sessions the right way from this video.
- How to Take Better Photos: This video will help you learn the essentials of getting a good shot.
- Composition Lesson: You can apply this composition lesson to photography, painting, drawing or any artistic medium.
- Learning your Camera!: It's hard to take great photos when you don't understand how your camera works. This video can help to remedy that.
- Digital Photography Lesson: Printing: You've taken your photos, edited them and now you want to print them out. Watch this video to learn how to make sure your digital prints come out great the first time and every time.
- Lighting, Flashes and Posing: All of these elements are essential to great photography, and this video will help explain them to even the most elementary student.
- Shutter Speed Tutorial – Photography Lesson: Understanding shutter speed can help you learn to capture everything from fast-paced sports to beautiful portraits.
- Aperture Tutorial: Aperture refers to how much light the camera is letting in. This video will help you learn what setting you should use for particular types of photography.
- How to Develop Film: Learn the steps of developing black and white film from this video.
Get some skills in commercial design by watching these tech-focused videos.
- Photoshop Tutorial: Create Messy Type-Based Poster Artwork: You'll get a quick tutorial on creating this basic type of design from this video.
- Photoshop 101: If you've got an hour to spare, this amazing lesson on Photoshop fundamentals is a must-watch.
- Illustrator Basics: Learn how to do some of the most basic things on Illustrator here.
- Typography Basics Illustrator CS4: Good use of typography is essential to successful graphic design, so learn some of the basics here.
- The Basics of Good Logo Design: As a graphic designer, you're bound to design a logo at some point in your career. Learn what separates a good one from a bad one here.
- How to Use Graphics Tablets: If you've got one of these high-tech tools at hand, learn how to use it well from this video.
- How to Think Like a Graphic Designer: This video lesson will help you learn some of the most important things about design and composition.
- Learning the Basics – Corel PHOTO-PAINT X5: Those who use Corel products will enjoy getting a quick run-through of the basics on this program.
- Design Council: What Is Good Design?: Hear from the design council on what makes good design in this great video.
- Fundamentals of Typography: Anatomy of Type: Understanding typography is essential to making a career in graphic design, so start out strong with this video.
No matter what medium you choose to work with, these videos can help you make the most of it.
- Wood Carving Lesson 1: In this lesson, you'll learn the basics of this ancient art.
- Modeling Clay Preparation, Armature 7 Mold Making: Love getting your hands dirty with clay? This video will help you learn some new skills you can apply to modeling.
- Sculpting the Portrait in Clay: Making portraits in clay can be challenging, but learning the pointers featured in this video can help make it a little bit easier.
- Clay sculpting tutorial: This video showcases the basics of sculpting with clay from the true novice.
- Bronze Patina: Learn how to give bronze sculptures that beautiful patina from this video.
- How to Create And Cast Bronze Sculpture : The Best Tool for Making a Bronze Sculpture: Here you'll find a video, one among a large series, that will show you some of the best tools from bronze sculpture. Make sure to check out the rest of the series for further information.
- About Metal Sculpting & Dremel Tools: Those sculpting in metal can find some help in choosing materials and tools from this lecture.
- Glass Blowing Tutorial: Whether you're interested in glassblowing alone or as part of a large sculpture, this introductory lesson can help to prepare you– though you should always work under the supervision of a more experienced glassblower.
- Casting Resin Tutorial: Check out this video for some instructions on how to cast resin.
- Katherine Stanek: Concrete Sculpture: You might not think of concrete as a sculpting material, but this video might just change your mind.
Whether you love woodblocks or lithography, check out these videos to learn more about the art of printmaking.
- Woodblock Printmaking: Loved by the Japanese and practiced worldwide today, this method of printmaking is accessible to all, as you'll learn in this video.
- Printmaking Processes: Screenprinting: Never made a screenprint before? This tutorial will show you what it's all about.
- Printmaking Processes: Intaglio: While one of the most difficult and time consuming methods of printmaking, intaglio prints are worth learning about for young printmakers.
- Printmaking Processes: Lithography: Using giant stones to create a print, this method of printmaking must be done in the studio.
- Printmaking Processes: Relief: Check out this video to educate yourself on what relief printmaking is and how you can use it.
- Drypoint Printmaking: In this video, you'll get a quick tutorial in drypoint printmaking that can help you determine if it's a method you'd like to use.
- Monoprinting with cut paper: See what kind of results a monoprint yields and how it could be useful in your work here.
- Printmaking: Linocut: Linoleum is fairly cheap and versatile, making it a great material for printmaking, a process about which you can learn more here.
- Mezzotint Part 1 of 5: This multi-part series of videos will teach you everything you need to know about mezzotint prints.
- Screen Printing Poster Art : Preparing Your Screen With Drawing Fluid: No matter what kind of screenprint you're making, you can get better results by following the instructions in this video.
Once not accorded the status of real art, today comic books and graphic novels are finally getting the respect they deserve. Learn a bit more about the methods use to construct them from these videos.
- How to Draw Manga Style: If you can't get enough of this Japanese style of drawing, check out this video for a quick tutorial.
- How to Make a Graphic Novel: This video will introduce you to the graphic novel, how to lay one out and incorporate words and art.
- Comic Making Tutorial (Part1of 4) Getting Started: Take a look at all the videos in this series to get started making your own comic book art.
- Page Layouts for Comics/Manga: Pay layout is essential to the flow of a good comic, so learn some of the basics from this video.
- Coloring Comics in Photoshop: Once you've drawn your comic art, learn how to scan, edit and color it in Photoshop using this tutorial.
- Photoshop Comic Inking Tutorial: You can ink your comics the traditional way or bring them into Photoshop and do it as this video will show.
- Adding basic textures to your comic book coloring: When you're coloring your comics you might want to bring in some basic textures. This video will show you how it's done.
- How to draw cartoons, anime & comics guy part 1: Learn the basics of drawing cartoony figures from this video.
- From Sketch to Inking: If you prefer to do your inking the old fashioned way, learn some of the fundamentals here.
- Drawing Superheroes: If you're more into drawing muscled men and svelte women as superheroes, this video tutorial will show you how it's done.
In the modern era, textiles have largely been seen as the domain of women and unfortunately this hasn't afforded them much attention in the art world at large. Yet as attitudes about gender have changed, so have attitudes about textile art, making it an amazing medium to start using in your own work.
- Weaving on the Schacht Table Loom: Created by Dick Blick, an art store, this video will show you how to use a loom that they carry.
- Fabric Painting Tutorial: You can create wearable art when you learn how to paint on fabric.
- Ombre Fabric Dyeing: Dyeing fabric is an art, and one that you can learn a bit more about in this video.
- Paper Cloth: A hybrid between paper and cloth is possible when you follow the instructions here.
- How to Knit – The Basics: Many artists have used knit objects in their art, so why not give it a try? This video will show you the basics of knitting.
- How to Crochet – Part 1 – Basics for the Absolute Beginner: If crocheting is more your style, you'll learn some of the most important aspects here.
- (Overview) How to weave on a *hand loom*: Learn the basics of weaving on a hand loom so you can start practicing on your own.
- Extra weft fabric with Arachnae textile design software: This video will show you how software is used to create complex and beautiful designs in thread.
- How to Embroider: Artists like Jenny Lee are bringing this medium to the forefront and you can help the movement by learning some embroidering skills of your own.
- Portrait of a textile artist at work: Learn just what a textile artist does and some of the methods you can use in your own work from this video.
From digital art to collage, these videos will help you learn about a wide range of media.
- Finger Painting on the Apple iPad: Learn how you can use an iPad to create amazing works of art.
- Digital Painting: This video will show you how a computer and some software can take the place of a paintbrush and canvas.
- Gel Transfers – Mixed Media Tutorial: Use this fun method to transfer designs when you're putting together mixed media art.
- Fun with Fiber Paste: Never tried fiber paste? This video will show you how to get started with it.
- Tutorial: making the million tesserae Oceano mosaic: If you've ever been curious about how mosaics get made, give this video a look-see.
- Learn To See, Learn To Draw: Being able to draw well isn't just something that has to do with your hands– it's about how you see the world as well.
- Blind Contour Drawing Lesson: You can help improve your art skills by doing blind contour drawings like those shown in this video.
- Collage and Mixed Media Tutorial: Get some pointers on making mixed media and collage art from this tutorial.